How many of us were feeling elation, glee, jubilation and a big HOOOOEEEEE before, during and after Inauguration Day? Elation may be a difficult emotion to sustain, but I say that we need all of the elation, all of the positive movement, that we can stand to keep us moving forward to a new day.
I may garble this badly, but I remember reading, or maybe seeing on The Secret, where Mother Theresa said that she would not attend a Stop Hunger rally, but that if they held a Provide Food one, she’d be on the front row. Many of our movements, and certainly the ones that I affiliate with, are to stop some practice that we oppose. Mountaintop removal mining, for instance. Or animal cruelty. Or captive “hunting.” Or factory farming. Or over-medication. Or kids having high cholesterol because we don’t know how to feed them and they aren’t going outside anymore!!! Ooops. Well, I definitely oppose those! But how do I ride this glee wave to a new “for” mentality, when I can’t, for the life of me, figure out how to end the “against” one.
But here are some things that I am for that underpin all the things that I am against, and maybe if I focus on these, I’ll find a clue:
1. I am for honoring the dignity of all life.
2. I am for equivalence of worth.
3. I am for apologizing for mistakes and for forgiving them.
4. I am for making whole what has been rendered asunder.
5. I am for practices that sustain life in its full health.
7. I am for our doctors adding nutrition to their tool bag and for their teaching us how to be well.
8. I am for giggling in church and at funerals.
9. I am for loving life with the heart of a five-year-old.
10. I am for getting outside and playing.
So, I’ll be thinking more about this “for” stuff. And hoping that you’ll join me in being for honoring and respecting life. Hoooooeeeee!